Date(s) - Nov 3rd 2016 - Nov 7th 2016
10:00 am - 7:00 pm
CruiserPort at the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show
Thursday, November 3rd – Saturday, November 5th , 2016
CruiserPort is PassageMaker Magazine’s designated area within the Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show, promoting the cruising-under-power lifestyle. CruiserPort offers free boating seminars taught by renowned marine industry professionals.
CruiserPort provides attendees with a taste of the TrawlerFest experience, as well as special deals on TrawlerFest tickets just for stopping by the CruiserPort Seminar Pavilion.
CruiserPort presentations are free but space is limited so we encourage you to register in advance to ensure a spot!
RSVP: Please send an email to CruiserPort@PassageMaker.com with the presentation or presentations you would like to attend.
THANK YOU TO OUR PRESENTING SPONSOR:
CRUISERPORT FLIBS 2016 SEMINAR SCHEDULE
Thursday, November 3rd
- 1:00 Planning & Navigating a Cruise with Bob Sweet. Sponsored by OceanGrafix Cruising offers the pinnacle of boating enjoyment, seeing new places from the water. Proper planning and navigating new waters with confidence adds to your enjoyment. Learn what to do before and during the cruise using the best tools for the job. Presented by Bob Sweet, author of Powerboat Handling Illustrated and The Instant Handbook of Boat Handling, Navigation and Seamanship
- 2:00 Rum, Rhumba & Revolution: Go To Cuba Legally With or Without Your Boat Just back from Cuba where he ran AIM Marine first Rallies to Cuba program, Peter Swanson will help attendees navigate the regulatory waters of travel to Cuba. Presented by Peter Swanson, PassageMaker Magazine
- 3:00 Confident Boat Handling in Close Quarters with Bob Sweet. Sponsored by OceanGrafix Operating in and around boats, docks, and harbors can be the most stressful part of boating. Learn what your boat will do in response to your controls and how to get it to do what you want it to. Presented by Bob Sweet, author of Powerboat Handling Illustrated and The Instant Handbook of Boat Handling, Navigation and Seamanship
- 4:00 DAN Boater Membership Association. Sponsored by Dan Boater. Diver’s Alert Network is internationally recognized as the trusted name in diver safety. Its travel products have proven lifesaving to divers above and below the water. DAN is proud to now open this line of quality products to all boaters not just divers. The short presentation clearly outlines the health benefits of the DAN Boater Membership Association from the medical director’s point of view. Presented by DAN Boater
Friday, November 4th
- 11:00am The Greatest Loop! Sponsored by Beneteau America. Beneteau America’s, Justin Joyner, will discuss the Swift Trawler 34’s epic journey around America’s Great Loop and share useful tips and tricks for boaters interested in cruising this iconic route. Presented by Justin Joyner, Beneteau America
- 12:00pm Introduction to PC Navigation. Sponsored by Rose Point Navigation– PC-based marine navigation has revolutionized the way boaters plan and navigate voyages. This seminar will cover all of the basics of PC navigation including: software elements, choosing a program, charts, satellite and aerial imagery, marine grade hardware, weather information, AIS, tides and currents and more. Presented by Jeff Hummel, Rose Point Navigation
- 1:00pm Everything You Wanted to Know About Your Yacht Insurance Policy But Didn’t Know Who To Ask. Sponsored by Pantaenius America This presentation provides an overview of what yacht insurance is for, the different types of policies that are available, and how yacht policies can differ overall. Topics to be covered included: Implication of secret implied warranties, Review of clauses found in most yacht insurance policies, How to negotiate with your insurance company for better terms, An Open Forum. Ask ANYTHING about marine insurance and marine law. Presented by Cary Wiener, Pantaenius America
- 2:00pm Inflatable PFDs (Life Jackets) & Rescue Line Toss Demonstration with Captains Chris & Alyse. Sponsored by DAN Boater Just because you wear an inflatable Personal Floatation Device (PFD) doesn’t mean it’s ready to inflate. Learn more about different types of inflatable PFDs and their care and maintenance. Step up and volunteer to pull the rip cord and see how it works. Take a few minutes to discover which works best for you. And learn how you can easily retrieve that “Man Overboard” with our LINE TOSS demonstration too. Presented by Captain Chris Yacht Services
- 3:00pm Offshore Cruising with Bruce Kessler & Captain Andrea Gaines Whether the distance is 20 miles or 2000 miles, it isn’t the length of the voyage that is important it’s the voyage itself. We are here to help you consider what it takes to make such a voyage and give you the confidence to make the next step to living your dreams. Presented by Bruce Kessler and Captain Andrea Gaines
- 4:00 PROVISIONING TIPS FROM THE PROS with Captains Chris & Alyse Captains Chris & Alyse Caldwell share much more than your typical shopping list. These experienced cruisers will help you learn what you should bring along to prepare for your cruise away from home port. Consider everything from spare parts and tools to first aid and groceries and how to replenish these supplies while cruising. Then where do you store these items? We will explore what works in the real world of boating and what doesn’t. You just might rethink the way you’ve always done it. Presented by Captain Chris Yacht Services
Saturday, November 5th
- 11:00am The Cost of Cruising with Captains Chris & Alyse. From deciding what style of boat will accomplish your goals to budget considerations, Captains Chris and Alyse Caldwell will guide you through this new adventure. These seasoned cruisers will share their personal experiences as owner/operators and offer you options in your cruising future that won’t break the bank. Presented by Captain Chris Yacht Services
- 12:00pm Financing and Insuring your Dream Boat. Sponsored by Sterling Associates Marine Lending and Total Dollar Insurance Paying cash may not be the best way to buy the boat. This presentation will cover topics like tax advantages, tax consequences, rates and term options both fixed and variable along with basic cash flow and credit guidelines the banks look for to qualify for a loan. Surveys, financing in additional equipment, age of vessel etc. are all included in this informative presentation. Presented by Cindy Lewis, Sterling Associates and Arthur Buhr III, Total Dollar Insurance
- 1:00pm Cruising the Florida Keys with Captains Chris & Alyse. Sponsored by Technicold The Florida Keys are the place to go where you can find clear water, tropical climate and an “island” attitude. Captain Chris can help you plot your course for these far away islands that are really just next door. It’s an easy place for friends to visit without a passport. Presented by Captain Chris Yacht Services
- 2:00pm Neat Knots with Bob Sweet. Sponsored by OceanGrafix Want to keep your boat at the dock and look good while doing it? Come learn some really good marine knots, bends and hitches that will hold the boat in place – and be easy to undo when it’s time to go. Share your special knots with other boaters and have an enjoyable time will adding some new tricks to your inventory of skills. Presented by Bob Sweet, author of Powerboat Handling Illustrated and The Instant Handbook of Boat Handling, Navigation and Seamanship
- 3:00pm Bahamas Bound with Captains Chris & Alyse. Sponsored by Northern Lights If cruising the Bahamas is on your bucket list then don’t miss this wonderful presentation. From when to cross the Gulf Stream to how to provision, you’ll learn the foundations to a safe and terrific trip of a lifetime. Come join Captains Alyse and Chris as we coach you on how to start this wonderful journey. Presented by Captain Chris Yacht Services
- 4:00pm What Good is that Compass? Sponsored by OceanGrafix We all have a compass on our boat. Now that we have GPS who needs it? Actually both are essential. Come learn some neat tips on how to stay on course and make sure you are where you think you are. This is a great topic for all aboard which you will use frequently while underway. Presented by Bob Sweet, author of Powerboat Handling Illustrated and The Instant Handbook of Boat Handling, Navigation and Seamanship
THANK YOU TO OUR NATIONAL SPONSORS:
CruiserPort Fort Lauderdale 2015 (Click for Details)
801 Seabreeze blvd
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33316