The name of the seminar is Troubleshooting Boat Systems & Diesel Engines, but there's more to it than that, according to PassageMaker columnist and boatyard owner Steve Zimmerman. Zimmerman is leading the class in early June at the International Cruising Boat Expo at Essex, Connecticut.
The diesel engine portion of the course is being conducted in partnership with Bell Power Systems of Essex, a distributor of John Deere engines.
This intensive two-day course will provide comprehensive instruction about maintaining a cruising vessel. Topics will include:
- Fiberglass boat construction and the implications for maintenance and repairs,
- General maintenance including hauling out, bottom painting, blister prevention, gelcoat care, coatings for wood and fiberglass, and proper use of sealants
- Equipment inspections, why components fail and how to identify developing problems
- Marine electrical systems, DC vs. AC, marine batteries, charging systems, inverters, electrical safety onboard, and troubleshooting techniques
- Marine power train, from the transmission coupling to the end of the prop shaft, including packing glands, shaft materials, prop design, and corrosion prevention
- Diesel engines, general principles, hands on maintenance skills, troubleshooting techniques
The content will be geared towards those new to boating, cruisers transitioning from sail to power, die-hard sailors and otherwise experienced boaters who want to deepen their knowledge and skill sets. Attendees will receive a certificate of completion during the "graduation party" Wednesday evening.
Cruising Boat Expo, a combination of seminars, a boat show and social events in the tradition of TrawlerFest,will be held June 2-7, at Brewer Essex Island Marina. The Troubleshooting seminar will be conducted over two days, Tuesday and Wednesday, June 2-3, beginning at 8:30 a.m. both days.
Zimmerman, who is an experienced cruiser himself, writes the Troubleshooter column for PassageMaker magazine. He owns four boatyards in Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina and is the builder of the Zimmerman line of power cruisers. Zimmerman Marine has been in business for more than 34 years.
For information about TrawlerFest call our dedicated number 954.703.4789 or email us at Trawlerfest@passagemaker.com